Friday, May 11, 2012

Somatizing

Apologies for the blog break to anyone who actually reads regularly. I had to take time for gastrointestinal distress, two days of migraines, one sleepless night, one evening of uncontrolled crying, and the usual teaching/grading/conversing but unfortunately no research.

It is the end of the semester and plenty is going on. We're not done yet. The department had several large events in the last week or two. The event I was most involved with was of course a team effort, but a lot of the responsibility had been put on my desk as the most junior female. Most of my colleagues were quite helpful and came through when I needed help. The senior colleague who'd initiated the event was not helpful. I got yelled at and told my request for help was unimportant, in front of a student. Sigh. This is why I'm pseudonymous -- who else am I going to talk to about this? Nothing much can be done.

It's Friday. Students are restive. They have tons of work to do and they are freaking out. I also have tons of work to do, but I am not freaking out anymore. Grade 200 pieces of homework in an afternoon? Sure, whatever. At this point in the semester it's going to be graded for completion.

I feel like I've been a somewhat crappy professor this semester -- not up to my usual standards. I still got nominated for outstanding professor by a student group I care about. That makes me feel a bit better.

Grading, editing, organizing the gradebooks and Excel files.... that's my coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment